Vegan Gingerbread Cupcakes
It all started when my mom found some festive Christmas cupcake tin liners at the dollar store, and I realized that I had never ventured into the land of Christmas cupcakes. I found this recipe on Retro Mummy and was so excited to try it. With so many sugary sweet treats around this time of year I thought it would be great to have a cupcake that was a little more savoury (then loaded with sugary icing, but you get the point). For this recipe, you'll need:
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 1/2 tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 2/3 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup soy/almond/rice milk
- 2 tbsp soy/vanilla yogurt
- grated zest of 1/2 lemon
1. Place oil, syrup, milk, yogurt and lemon zest in a bowl and whisk together.
2. Mix in flour, baking powder, ginger, cinnamon and mix well. I added in just the tablespoon of ginger to start and felt that was enough to my taste, so make sure to taste as you go.
3. Divide between 12 cupcake wrappers.
4. Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for 20 minutes until firm on top and a toothpick comes out clean.
Then, time to decorate!
Not only are these cupcakes so light yet flavourful, the ginger and lemon flavours are strong yet not overpowering. These are definitely a comforting treat to have over the holidays.
Wishing you and yours a very merry Christmas!