Carrot Cake with Cream Cheese Icing
I have a confession for everyone: I have never eaten carrot cake. Twenty years old, and I have never been able to find a bakery or a recipe to work around my allergies. But, on my travels around the internet, I found a vegan recipe (I have not been able to find it online again) which I've been able to work around and have been so excited to make it! I did not end up making this recipe entirely vegan, but if you are a vegan this recipe is easily alterable to your needs. Without anymore introduction, you'll need:
- 1/4 cup cinnamon applesauce
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup cane sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup rice or soy milk
- 1 cup grated carrots
- 1 cup sunflower seeds, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 F. Grease and flour a baking pan. Grate carrots and chop sunflower seeds.
2. Combine applesauce, vanilla, butter, salt, baking powder, cinnamon, sugar, flour and rice milk until well mixed. Then add carrots and sunflower seeds.
3. Spread batter evenly in baking pan. Bake for 45 minutes. Allow to cool before frosting.
A thank you to my sister, Emma, for her role as acting photographer.
While the cake was baking I made the cream cheese icing. For this, you'll need:
- 1 container cream cheese
- 1/2 cup butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp lemon juice
Combine the cream cheese and margarine. Slowly add the powdered sugar, then vanilla and lemon juice.
And once your cake is cooled, you can create the final, amazing product.
Oh my goodness, I had no idea what I was missing out on! This cake is absolutely delicious. So moist and sweet and a little spicy at the same time. With the added texture of the carrots and the sunflower seeds it creates one amazing product. The contrast of the cake with the sweet and savoury cream cheese icing is so great I'm surprised I haven't already eaten the whole pan.